Chitika

Ideas

on Tuesday, 28 February 2012
Ideas come to us all at one time or another, but how we deal with them is different.

With writers, it seems the most prevalent way is to always keep a pen and paper nearby to quickly jot down what springs to mind. I don't like to do this, to be honest it's always frustrated me how long it takes me to get ideas down on paper (or a computer screen). I always put it down to nerves, like perhaps I think my idea wasn't good enough.

I've come to realise though, that it's more a personal preference. To me, scribbling something down as soon as it enters your head seems like a miscarriage of thought, as if it's not ready to come out yet. I mean, if we all just blurted out the first thing that came to mind, the world would be a pretty unpleasant place (just see how much Tourettes sufferers struggle).

No, I like to roll stuff around my mind first, savour the taste of it, let it form and connect with other things, taking shape like an unborn child. Only when it is developed and ready to breathe on it's own do I like it out into the world, blinking in the light.

Maybe that slows me down, but I don't mind. Slow and steady wins the race, after all.

6 comments:

Brutal Anal Rape said...

hey mate, why can't i follow?

teganwilson said...

Fixed :)

Marara said...

Try to think it through more and more, until it becomes more complex and well defined in your head, then write down a scheme. Then write it like this. Or brainstorm a little, till you write down all you're thinking of and then maybe re-write it.
But trust me, writing down, no matter how big the bother, is truly important.

Daniel said...

I love this post, but sometimes I have to at least write down the basics of the idea. Then it acts like a sort of anchor, stopping the waves of distraction from carrying me away from this idea and losing it completely.

SilentBobber said...

"Slow and steady wins the race, after all." Very true this.

David Kabbot said...

Hm. Interesting point. If it was an idea that did have merit, a real impact on you, etc. you would remember it at a later point, or after maturing it because it stuck with you. I do scribble down things from time to time, but only if (for reason) I think that I will forget it...

Post a Comment